As I continue on my journey to complete my 101 in 1001 I am continually amazed at how happy I am working on my list of 101 Things That Make Me Happy list.
Through our crazy schedules it's sometimes hard to find the things that make us happy because we assume they have to be big things. But the little things are just as important as the big ones. Remember to live life the best you can, love the most you can. Moments are precious, many things can wait, The Sunset Won't.
Here are the newest additions to My Happy List:
81. Getting back into the classroom. After summer vacation is through, as a teacher, I love fall. The excitement surrounding a new grade, new school and new friends that radiate from students along with their anxiety. As a teacher I enjoy going back to school, even if at the moment I am working as a substitute teacher not a full time teacher. Getting back into the classroom makes me happy.
82. Fall. There is a crisp bite to the air. The leaves begin to turn colors and fall to the ground. Walking along the street hearing leaves crackle and crunch underfoot. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars, turkeys at Thanksgiving dinner, cranberry salad with nuts. Holidays, darker nights and brighter mornings, less bugs. Fall makes me happy.
83. Learning new things. Whether it’s from reading a newspaper or a book, watching a movie or documentary, listening to a lecture or having a conversation there are always things I didn’t know. I am not a walking encyclopedia (though students often assume their teachers are). But learning new things, interesting things, funny things, surprising things are always useful as a teacher. Learning new things makes me happy.
84. Finding what’s lost. Car keys, favorite sweater, cord for your camera… it stinks when you lose something and can’t find it. And doesn’t it always seem that as soon as you stop looking you find it? Those moments, when I find what I lost makes me happy.
85. Finding a new author or writer. Maybe it’s a new blog you have stumbled across. The author of a book recommended to you. The author of a book that you picked up randomly off a shelf. Once you read it you connect with the story, the writing style a character… whatever it is you decide you want more. Finding a new author or writer makes me happy.
86. Wednesday night dinners at church. When I left my church for awhile one thing I didn’t count on enjoying so much coming back were Wednesday night dinners. The church has a chef that comes in and makes (typically) delicious meals. You grab a plate and a drink and head into the social hall to find a seat at one of the many round tables. It’s a time of community, catching up with family friends over a great meal. Wednesday night dinners at church make me happy.
87. Brevity. It often makes me happy.
88. New words. Antidisestablishmentarianism. Plethora. Abibliophobia. Rube. Finding fun new words makes me happy.
89. Writing something legibly. I do not have the best handwriting. But sometimes when I am careful I can write a note, or make a poster with really good, legible handwriting I love my handwriting. Writing something clearly makes me happy.
90. Good deals. I have mentioned before that sales make me happy. But this is different. A great school lunch for $3. Ordering a drink and meal at a restaurant for under $12 and really liking your meal. A super cute purse for $40. Good deals make me happy.
What makes you happy? Is it the big things? Or the little things?