I've been working on a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. One of those things was to create a list of 101 things that make me happy. The list is something that I finished several months ago. You can see it in it's entirety here.
For me, lately, life has been crazy. It's been hard. It's been stressful. It's been overwhelming. And in that time I've forgotten to remember how very blessed I am. How many things in this world make me happy. While I already have 101 things, I thought it would be fun to think of a few more.
102. Having an a-ha moment. You're watching tv, reading an article or talking to someone and all of the sudden something switches. Something clicks. And you suddenly understand something in a way you didn't before. You learn something new that changes a perception. You go a-ha! Having an a-ha moment makes me happy.
103. Seeing lightbulbs go off in other peoples' minds. Especially as a teacher, but even in other aspects of my life, when talking about something with someone and you see them grasp a new concept. You almost feel like you can see the gears kick into motion as the light goes off... those moments make me happy.
104. Having something you cook or bake turn out really well. I really enjoy baking. And if I don't have to do the dishes I enjoy cooking too. But when you are making something and you are wary of how it is going to turn out. You are unsure of how it will look or taste, you get a little nervous. Like your effort could be wasted. But when you pull it out of the oven, or off the stove and try it... and it tastes great, that's an awesome feeling. When something you cook or bake turns out really well... that makes me happy.
105. Book sales. I've mentioned before how sales make me happy. But more specifically, book sales make me happy. I can't resist. A bargain shelf, a store closing, a new release on sale. It's like a compulsion. I have close to 50 books at home, sitting on my bookshelf that are new purchases (within the 10 months) that I've yet to read. Some are used, some have yet to ever be opened. But all hold a new story, a new adventure, a new escape within. Book sales, make me happy.
106. Having 'my' space. My parents recently completed a renovation in their basement. After college I moved home and was living in a den with two doors as my bedroom. But after the renovation I have the nicest room in the house and a bathroom that is virtually mine alone. And I love it. Having my space makes me very happy.
107. Reunion dinners with friends. Life takes us in many different directions. We lose touch with friends after various graduations. People move, they get new jobs, start new lives. But every once in a blue moon you have a get together. For me, there is a group of us that always go to Applebee's when we get together. It's every 6 months or so, when we are all in town at the same time and we get together for dinner and drinks. It's a time to catch up. To remember. Reunion dinners with friends make me happy.
108. Coordinating things. Your new pen matches your new notepad. Your new blouse matches that pair of boots in your closet perfectly. Your lists for work are color coordinated (with matching colors of course!). Everything with a certain aspect of your life is marked in a certain color or font (church, a certain class, kids). Coordinating things makes me happy, because it just looks so nice.
So there are another few things that make me happy. Small things. But things none the less. Things that on those rainy days I can remember. And things that on those sunny days I can enjoy even more. What makes you happy? Have you ever stopped to think about it? Because sometimes, on a crummy day, finding that one little thing that makes you happy... can well... make you happier.