On November 1st, 2010 I finished that Happy List. Then, in February of 2011 I needed to be pulled out of the stressful mess my life was becoming. I need to pull out that list and add a few more pieces of gold to it, to remember just how very blessed I am.
Now, I've decided to make a Winter Holidays Happy List. A list all about the things that make me happy this time of year. A couple may be from the original list, but hey, if it makes you happy it doesn't hurt to list it again!
1. NSYNC's song "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays." I was a huge boy-band fan when I was in middle school and high school. If I were being completely honest, I still like listening to that music. But one of my favorite non-traditional Christmas songs was this one. Listening to "Marry Christmas and Happy Holidays" during the Christmas season, makes me happy.
2. Holiday Cookies. This seems like the one time of year when people go crazy on the cookies. And I love it. My jeans and scale don't. But I do. Holiday cookies make me happy.
3. The stockings hung by the chimney with care. When I'm sitting in my living room, the fireplace is on and there are stockings hung in front of the chimney, that makes me happy.
4. The Cedar Holiday Tree. On Thanksgiving Day the tree is plugged in, and stays on every night until New Year's Day. This tree is lit up by a couple in my hometown. With over 41,000 lights this tree is visible from the highway and is one of my favorite things about the holiday season. The Lit Up Holiday Tree, makes me happy!
5. Being with family. Christmas Eve all the Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and my Grandmother get together to celebrate. The next day the other side of my family gets together for the afternoon. These traditions, and seeing family that I don't see very often is awesome. Being with family at Christmas time, makes me happy.
6. Winter Break. As a person working in the field of education having Winter Break (a week off from work/school) makes me happy.
7. The Ornament Exchange. One side of my family does a huge ornament exchange with all the aunts, uncles and cousins. We draw numbers and make it a game. That ornament exchange is one of my favorite things about the holiday season, and it makes me happy.
8. Christmas Carols AFTER Thanksgiving. Before Thanksgiving, I don't like them and find them annoying. But from the day after Thanksgiving to the day after Christmas I love hearing and singing Christmas Carols. Those songs, at this time of year, make me happy.
9. Opening ONE gift on Christmas Eve. My parents, brother and I have a tradition of opening one gift Christmas Eve before we go to bed. This sneak peek of what's to come, makes me happy.
10. Kids who believe in Santa. Watching them wait in anxious anticipation to sit on Santa's lap. Reminding them that Santa is watching them and they need to be good. Watching their excitement when their cookies were eaten and their stocking is full, is so cute. Kids who believe in Santa make me happy.
These are just some of the things that make me happy about the holiday season.
What things would you add to a Winter Holidays Happy List?